Monday, August 31, 2009

Self-Help Yourself

The other day I was talking with my brother on the phone. He had started Steinbeck's East of Eden that week, and I was asking him how it was going. He said, "Well, I think I'm going to finish it today." I was stunned. This is not a quick read kind of book. This is a thick, involving, 600-plus page journey.

I asked Chris where he found the time to get through this novel so quickly, and he told me that he learned how to speed read. So, a few days ago when I was in Columbia visiting, I had Chris show me how to do it. He pointed me
here.

I'm not a huge fan of self-help trends, so I was a little skeptical at first. I tried it anyway, and about 20 minutes later I was reading fast. Really fast.

And it is awesome.

The basic principle behind speed reading is that you re-train your eyes to read more quickly than you thought possible. Your brain at some point will catch up.

I've never read the Harry Potter books. At first it was a pride thing, but now it's more of a time thing. In my mind, to start The Sorcerer's Stone means to finish The Deathly Hallows (yes, I had to look up the names). And that's a big commitment. Now, though, it doesn't seem so intimidating.

Speed reading might change my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment