Sunday, October 11, 2009

All Of Us


Over the past couple years, I have fallen in love with the book of Genesis. Become addicted, really. A little strange, I know, but I just can't get enough of it.



The observations about humanity are stunning. Are we not all striving for control? Are we not all deceived? Are we not all deceivers? Are we not all capable of incredible good and also incredible evil? Are we not all hiding? Are we not all waiting for something to call us on a journey? Are we not all wrestling with something? Are we not all trying to figure this thing out?

The questions that are asked stop me in my tracks: "Did God really say that?" "Where are you?" "What have you done?" "Am I my brother's keeper?" "Will not the judge of all the earth do right?" These are questions that we all answer in some form or another for all of our lives. There is no escaping them.

Now that I'm familiar with it, I see the Genesis story everywhere. I see it in the books I read and the movies I watch, and in the everyday interactions and transactions of my life. I see it when I read the news and when I take a drive through Kansas City in the fall.

We all have stories that narrate our lives, whether we choose to recognize their influence or not. We all ask these big, huge questions of our world and of our God.

All of us.

dave

No comments:

Post a Comment