Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Great Debate

No, I'm not talking about the Jayhawks vs. The Tigers or The Roasterie vs. Broadway. I'm not talking about Gates vs. Bryant's vs. Joe's vs. Jack Stack vs. etc., etc., etc. I'm not talking about The Funk vs. his own City Council. I'm not talking about Brian Busby vs. Gary Lezak . I'm not talking about any of that.

I'm talking about The Light Rail.

To Light Rail or not to Light Rail? That is the question (well, not really, but that's what I'm writing about).

I read this article from the Kansas City Star yesterday. To be honest, it struck me as a little bit ridiculous. More on that later. Here are a few fun facts about the Kansas City Light Rail project.

The first proposal was added to the ballot in 1998. It was voted down. In fact, it has been voted down SEVEN TIMES since 1998. Once, in 2006, Kansas Citians actually voted to install a light rail, but things never got off the ground after that. In 2008, Kansas City again said "no" to the light rail plan.

Poor Clay Chastain just keeps on keepin' on, though. I admire his perseverance, and hope that one day it pays off.

Now, why is this current proposal a little bit ridiculous?

First, let me say that I like the idea of a light rail. In fact, I voted for it in '08. I think it's a step in the right direction for our city. That, and improving our law enforcement so people will actually get on the thing.

OK, now the ridiculous part:

This current proposal includes installing a Ferris Wheel in Penn Valley Park. A light rail, and a Ferris Wheel.

A Ferris Wheel?

A Ferris Wheel.

Tax-payers in Kansas City have not been willing to pay for a new public transportation system. But maybe they'll vote for it if the sky-line includes a giant carnival ride perched next to The Scout or the Liberty Memorial.

(Insert Ferris Wheel here)

Here's hoping...

dave

2 comments:

  1. What's a better idea: Adding a Ferris Wheel to your Public Transport bill

    or

    Picking Sarah Palin as your VP?

    I have to believe these ideas came from the same political consultancy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Clay Chastain needs to go away like Gloria Squitiro. They need another "project".

    ReplyDelete