Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'll Tumble For You

Yesterday, I fell down the stairs.

We were at a friends house painting the hallway and the stairwell, and I was wearing my socks. I took off down the stairs to get a paper towel, hit the landing, and started the slide. There's always that moment when you're falling when you think that you can catch yourself and keep your balance. But no. I didn't catch myself, and my tailbone hit the hardwood floor.

It was so funny.

Watching someone fall always makes me laugh. In fact, I often say that one of my favorite things in the whole world is watching people fall. I love the guy at the baseball game that eats it going up the stairs while carrying two full cardboard drink holders with nachos stacked on top of the cups and a bag of peanuts under his chin. And I love the "walking down a slippery hill when it's raining" fall that I fell victim to last year. The skateboard fall is always a classic, especially when the spectator is partially to blame. The more stuff that spills, the harder the fall, and the more serious the person tries to be in recovery, the better.

Now, you may be thinking to yourself: "Who is this guy? What a jerk, laughing at someone else's misfortune!" But I'm convinced that watching people fall is one of your favorite past times, too. Why else has America's Funniest Home Videos been on television for 20 years now? It sure wasn't Bob Saget's cunning jokes that kept it running. It's funny things happening to ordinary people. There's something so simple about falling, especially for an adult. I've spent the better part of my 25 years walking around on two legs, but every once in a while, I find myself on the ground.

So, keep your eyes peeled. You never know when you might catch the funniest three seconds of your week.

Here's something to get you started:





dave

1 comment:

  1. Too bad we didn't have a camera running. You too could be on video making a fool of yourself.
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete