Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why I Love Kansas City: Oversized Toys

“I can’t believe they are building a parking garage next to the Nelson” I remember thinking this, and thinking how the project was taking a loooooonnnnngggg time. I love the huge shuttlecocks that dotted the yard, as if this were the back yard of a family of GIANTS, and the Nelson was just an obstacle to get over. But what terrible judgment on the curators part.

Sadly, I admit that my parking garage is another example of my inability to recognize beauty at first glance. And I soon uncovered that my parking garage was the Bloch addition to the Nelson, you know the building that was declared the
#1 archtiectural marvel in 2007.

If you haven’t seen it you need to, if you have, go back. This building, and the artwork that surround it are enchanting. The building elegantly weaves through the sloping grounds next to the original museum. Walking through the sculptures, and shade trees on a Sunday afternoon is incredible. I’m fairly certain the lawn in front of the Nelson is perfect. You can lay on it, play football, do odd karate moves, or just sit and take in the day, and it’s wonderful.

And once you have experienced all that. Night falls.




I love this place.

ben

No comments:

Post a Comment