Friday, September 11, 2009

Why I Love Kansas City: My Morning Drive

Every weekday, I get in my car, back out of the driveway, head north on Walnut, take a left on 38th, and then turn right on Main. I'm trying to enjoy my last five minutes of freedom before work. On the radio, 90.9 is playing some relaxed americana/folk song I've never heard before, and unless it's terribly hot, terribly cold, or raining, my windows are open. That's especially nice this time of year. As I head north on Main Street, I watch the street signs tick off: 37th, 36th, 35th. I see the same people every day at the bus stop next to Burger King. They have names, but I don't know them. So there's "The Guy With the Skateboard, "The Guy With the Cane", and "The Lady With the Baby".

And then I get to the intersection of Main and Linwood, and I can smell it. It's the smell of Kansas City. It's Barbeque - Kansas City BBQ. Gates BBQ, to be exact. The sweet smoky smells pouring out of the building are unmistakable and mouth-watering, even at 9 in the morning.

Gates is just one of many fantastic BBQ joints in KC. There's Jack Stack, Smokehouse, Bryant's, Okie Joe's, and so many others that I haven't even tried yet. I like to think about how all over the city there are people who are driving past these BBQ restaurants, breathing deep, and thinking the same thing that I am: "mmmm...".

Gates isn't open for business at 9 in the morning, but if it were, you can bet that I'd leave for work a few minutes early. And you'd find me there, standing in line, listening for my "Hi May I Help You?!".

"One Beef Breakfast on Bun and a coffee, please!"

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment