Thursday, April 22, 2010

7 Days - DaVinci Day

In 2006, I spent over five months living in Milan, Italy. Milan is the home of the Santa Maria delle Grazie, the church which houses Leonardo DaVinci's The Last Supper. The Last Supper, along with along with Michelangelo's Creation of Adam and Leo's own Mona Lisa, might be the most famous painting in the world.

Like I said, I spent five months living in the same city that housed one of history's greatest masterpieces. In fact, I went to school about two blocks away from the church, just a short walk.

I never went to see it. I had tons of excuses: I'm saving money for travel. I'm not really "into" art. I've already seen the Mona Lisa. I'll do it later; after all, it's just down the street. Eventually, when my brother and a friend came to town and we did try to see it, the church was booked solid through the summer.

But don't write me off as shallow just yet. I did read The DaVinci Code while I was over there. And I did tour the Vatican. Two out of three ain't bad, right?

Today, though, I pay Leonardo his due. Wikipedia, here I come. Again.

Wikipedia has a huge article on DaVinci. There are even tons of "sub-pages" specifically about his personal life, his scientific studies, and his art-work. This guy's a big deal. I dive right in. Basically, Leonardo was famous for being the go-to-guy for just about everything. He is, literally, the definition of "Renaissance man".

By about 3pm, I'm thinking that maybe I bit off more than I could chew with this one. Don't get me wrong - this guy is super-interesting. But there is just too much info here. It's absolutely fascinating and absolutely overwhelming. I think I'll give you some fun facts and call it a day.

  1. Leonardo compiled volumes of scientific observations that included studies of animals, astrology, geometry, human anatomy, and prototypes for things like flying machines, submarines, tanks, missiles, underwater breathing devices, and large bridges - this is the 1400's, folks! Bill Gates bought one of these books for over 30 million dollars. It is the most expensive book in the world.
  2. The books, as well as most anything DaVinci wrote, were written in mirror image. Right to left and backwards. There are many theories on this, but the most practical view is that he learned to write backwards because he was left-handed and didn't want to smudge the ink.
  3. Despite designing war-machines, DaVinci hated war. He thought it was madness. And he was a vegetarian. Has anyone ever been an Italian and a vegetarian?
  4. In addition to being uber-smart and uber-artistic, Leo was an amazing socialite. He was good looking, could carry a conversation about anything, was humble, and was always generous. He was also super-strong. According to a contemporary of his, Vasari, DaVinci "with his right hand could bend the ring of an iron door knocker or a horseshoe as if they were lead." Again, he was left-handed.
  5. For any of the lady-readers who might be swooning over this ultimate-man, hold that thought. Many believe Leonardo was a homosexual, or at least celibate. He had no children.
  6. There is a Ninja Turtle named after him.
Vasari, again says:

"In the normal course of events many men and women are born with various remarkable qualities and talents; but occasionally, in a way that transcends nature, a single person is marvellously endowed by heaven with beauty, grace and talent in such abundance that he leaves other men far behind....Everyone acknowledged that this was true of Leonardo da Vinci, an artist of outstanding physical beauty who displayed infinite grace in everything he did and who cultivated his genius so brilliantly that all problems he studied were solved with ease. He possessed great strength and dexterity; he was a man of regal spirit and tremendous breadth of mind..."

Here's to you, Leonardo!

No comments:

Post a Comment