Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Final Countdown

10 Days. Well, 9 days, because my last day will be "Zero Day".

The plan: I'm going to have a theme for each of my final ten days of work. For the sake of fun and boredom, I'll write a short blog post about each day.

Deal? Deal.

9 Days - Health Insurance Day

It's safe to say I know just about nothing about health insurance. Or should I say, I knew just about nothing about health insurance. That was before Health Insurance Day.

First, let me say that I have some problems with insurance. I just don't like the idea that I'm paying for protection against something that might never happen. It just bothers me.

However, I'm a good American citizen, and I understand that part of being a good American citizen is being insured. And I've had some cavities filled that I know I wouldn't have wanted to pay for in full, so, I get it. In just a little while, I'll need to purchase my own health insurance plan, and that means I need to be informed.

My first order of business was to email my friend Clay. Clay sells insurance, and I trust him. That seems like a good place to start. I tell Clay that I'm looking for two things - decent coverage and low cost. Clay puts together a little plan for me, and that's when I realize just how uneducated I am when it comes to health insurance. What's co-insurance? What's a deductible?

Next stop: Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is the ultimate source for basic information on just about anything, and it delivers the goods on health insurance. Before I know it, I've got some of the lingo down, and I know what I'm looking for. I check out some quotes online, make some comparisons, and compose another email to Clay with some questions about things like co-pay and premiums. And we're off.

I didn't buy an insurance plan yesterday, and I've still got some things to consider. But it was a good start.

Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment